Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Not Wasting Any Time

In this family, we don't waste any time, when we get past one hurdle we move on to the next. And sometimes we throw 2 or more hurdles in, just to make life interesting. Last Thursday, I went from having a "business as usual" pregnancy to a "closely monitored" pregnancy....translation 4 Dr. appointmets a week. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I am grateful that they decided not to induce me.
As some of you have commented, I am not very big. From the beginning, I have been concerned that I wasn't as big as I had been with my first pregnancy. Up until last week, I had been measuring normally. I am now 32 1/2 weeks, but am measuring 5 weeks behind and hadn't grown since my last appointment, red flag apparently. My Dr. gave me a couple of likely scenarios from non-serious to serious and ordered an ultrasound ASAP. They weren't able to fit me in until yesterday.
With the ultrasound they were able to determine that my amniotic fluid was sufficient, but that ET was quite small (2 lbs. 13 oz.) This could mean that my placenta is not providing him with enough nutrition. (PS, I am not undereating, just wanted to throw that in there after a few people suggested that I eat more. Eating more does not increase the effectiveness of the placenta.) They decided not to induce because he seemed happy and was moving around a lot. They will monitor him very closely with non-stress tests and ultrasounds over the next three weeks. If his growth does not improve, they will induce me then.
My Dr. assured me that he may just be a small baby. We are praying that this is the case.
I don't think the news has completely sunk in, not feeling sad or really even very worried, just a little overwhelmed with unpacking, taking care of "W", and making it to 4 Dr. appointments a week. Oh yeah, and the Dr. suggested I stay off my feet......that's hilarious.

On a lighter not, "W" turned 18 months last Monday and I turned 29 last Saturday. Neither were very eventful. We are officially completely out of our house and nestling into Grandma's basement for now. I will post some new pics when our computer set-up is back to normal.